Volunteering is a great way to get involved in your community. Heights and Hills offers the following volunteer opportunities:
- Friendly Visiting – routine visits to chat, keep company, read, and share interests with a senior friend.
- Telephone Reassurance – routine phone conversations with an older adults.
- Escort to Medical Appointments – an occasional escort assignment. Take an older adult to his or her doctor’s appointment and provide a “second set of ears”.
Volunteers may select to do one time tasks such as:
- Set up an email account or help with a new electronic device
- Shred mail
- Hang drapes
- Move furniture
- Conduct a minor home repair
- Change a light bulb or fuse
- Shovel snow, salt stairway, or rake leaves
- Serve or deliver a Thanksgiving* meal
*On Thanksgiving Day, Heights and Hills serves meals to over 200 local seniors with the help of volunteers. Pies and desserts are also donated by volunteers and friends.
Administrative opportunities at our Downtown Brooklyn office are also available.
Our Aging101 curriculum, Birthday Card Collective and PenPal Exchange aim to bridge the generation gap between older adults and young people. We engage classrooms and youth groups to create meaningful and educational service projects that brighten the lives of our clients and young participants.