Mission & Values
Our mission is to support older adults to age successfully in their Brooklyn communities.
To age successfully, one needs to have:
- Financial security – having enough money to pay one’s bills.
- Food security – having sufficient food and nutrition.
- Access to health care – being able to get to and pay for doctors and medication.
- A safe, affordable, and comfortable place to live.
- One’s basic tasks of daily life accomplished – from bathing to bill-paying.
- Social supports that prevent isolation.
Our mission and values have remained steadfast since 1971.
- We believe that older adults are valuable contributing members of their communities, who are entitled to live as independently as possible with dignity and personal choice.
- We believe that professionally delivered home-based and community-based social services are essential for maintaining the health and wellbeing of older adults.
- We believe that support for family caregivers is critical in keeping older adults healthy, at home, and connected to family and community.
- We believe that engaging community volunteers to provide social interaction for their older neighbors contributes to increased health, satisfaction and longevity.
- We believe that by bringing youth and older adults together in intergenerational programs not only gives youth a knowledge and appreciation of the challenges of aging, but also strengthens the bonds between generations and brightens the lives of older Brooklynites.